Sequoia National Forest - Fall 2005
In 1910 this was Camp 8 - the end of the road. From this uppermost camp a
rough wagon track pushed one and a half miles upriver to where Southern
California Edison Company constructed the intake for
Kern River No. 3 Power Plant.
In 1922, Earl and Lucille Pascoe started Pascoe's Pack Station. By 1927 it was a
year round operation and by 1934 boasted the Roads End Store, a lodge and guest
cottages. Earl built up his packing business to 150 head of horses and mules and
12 or 13 packers and guides in peak season. A 100-man Civilian Conservation
Corps (CCC) camp was brought in by the U.S. Forest Service in 1936 to extend
the road north, to build the historic logging town of Johnsondale. The Pascoe's
retired in 1952 and sold to Mildred and Skeets Byers. In 1973 new owners Al and
Fran Keegan added a restaurant. The last owners to operate the store and cottages
were Mike and Marcia Burford.
Forest Service fire patrolman John T. "Jack" Moore was a permanent fixture at
Roads End from 1944 to 1972. Jack and his wife, Loreen, lived and worked in the
guard station at Roads End during an era when rangers' work, private lives, home
and office, melded into one. Thousands of forest visitors and natives benefited
from his knowledge of the area and remember "Ranger Jack Moore" as a
caregiver, rescuer, firefighter and friend.
Roads End Resort was a popular stop for visitors until July 2002, when the
majority of the buildings were tragically lost in a human-caused fire called the "McNally."
In cooperation with Sequoia National Forest,
Southern California Edison and Dr. Samuel Gregg George Chapter, ECV
Dedicated and erected September 25, 2005 by the
Kern River Valley Historical Society and
Peter LeBeck Chapter #1866, E Clampus Vitus